Ever wondered why there is such a large LGBT community in Palm Springs? It could have everything to do with the weather. Maybe it's the LGBT Cinema Diverse Film Festival. Then again, it could be the Club Skirts presents The Dinah. Seriously though, we all know it's about the shopping so why not plan your trip and visit some of these great places to pick the latest trends, fashions, souvenirs and more.
Downtown and Uptown Design District
These areas of Palm Springs offer the avid shopper a collection of antique shops, art galleries, consignment dealers, fashion boutiques and mid-century modern retailers. A few stops while you're downtown could include the following:
- Best of St. Tropez – Stroll around gazing through furniture, home decor, jewelry, accessories, fashion, clothing, French bath and body, French food and more. It's a perfect little gift shop in town.
- Stewart Galleries – For the hip and trendy, this is the premier gallery for furniture and home decor. It is located in the historic La Plaza district right in the heart of beautiful downtown Palm Springs Village and was established in 1986.
Other notable shopping stops that speak for themselves are British Invasion, Gay Mart, Bear Wear and R&R Menswear.
The Uptown Design District in Palm Springs is an experience like no other. Some of the shopping highlights here are as follows:
- The Corridor– This is the perfect segue from Downtown to Uptown being located at the southern edge of Uptown. Locally owned small businesses that call The Corridor home consist of designer shops, art galleries and gourmet cafés. If you're in the market for new reading material, the perfect bookstore awaits you with a name that says it all – Just Fabulous!
- The Shops at Thirteen Forty Five – The building itself is a work of art in an architectural sense, to say nothing of the magnificent collection of designer boutiques that inhabit the inside. An eclectic collection of one-of-a-kind chandeliers, rock band T-shirts, present-day modern art and vintage 1960s jewelry is just a sampling of the treasures contained within this iconic 1955 constructed Herald Hicksville building.
- Just Fabulous – An updated modern Palm Springs style atmosphere that offers everything from books, gifts, decor and housewares in a shop that has been open and popular since 2007.
Palm Springs for the LGBT Tourist
Antique shops, art galleries, consignment dealers, fashion boutiques, modern retailers and an endless array of other retail opportunities await the Palm Springs visitor. For some of the best deals, don't miss out on the outdoor market on Thursday nights. Every Thursday night in Palm Springs means VillageFest. Entertainment, food, crafts and art are featured in this Coachella Valley located opportunity for locals and visitors to shop, relax, socialize and generally enjoy the finest of all things Palm Springs. In addition to what's listed above, featured vendors offer jewelry, CDs and fresh produce.
Arenas Road in Palm Springs
Since you can't shop 24/7, consider making one or more of the seemingly limitless bars and lounges on Palm Springs' Arena Road a "must stop". Here are some of the top rated places:
- Chili Bar – A beer bar and cocktails joint that regularly offers a good vibe and great crowd.
- Spur Line – Fun is the name of the game here with videos and dancing. Generous drinks are poured by the friendly bartenders giving you the opportunity to relax and catch your breath after all that shopping.
- Hunters – Saturday nights are particularly packed and crazy but that doesn't stop the service from being fast and courteous. It's the perfect place for friends to get together for cocktails.
Where Is the Best Dressed Man in Palm Springs Doing His Shopping?
Why Mr. Turk, of course. You will not be disappointed by the exquisite service or by the selection of stylish attire. If you're looking for fast fashion, you've come to the wrong place. Here the quality is excellent. It is less of a clothing line and more of a statement brand.
Wil Styles is the place to shop if you can't get enough wild, vibrant colors. You only need to glance through the window to get the picture here. You’ve never seen so many hues in one place!
Pastries, Candy and Cakes
If bakery is your passion there are three stops that you shouldn’t miss: